Our welfare and benefits team provide support and advice on all aspects of welfare and benefits to people who are under the care of UCLH for cancer or a blood condition, and their carers. 

The team can:

  • find out what benefits you’re entitled to
  • help you to apply for benefits
  • support you if you’re going through a benefits tribunal
  • give advice about other financial support
  • signpost you to other specialist services, or services local to you.

The following health care professionals can refer you for welfare and benefit advice:

  • hospital doctor
  • clinical nurse specialist
  • ward nurse
  • support and information specialist.

Details on how you can contact a support and information specilaist are available here.

You may find it helpful to contact some of the government departments listed below before visiting us:

We aim to offer advice to as many patients as possible but we may not always be able to provide support at a time convenient for you. We have listed other services you can also contact for advice below:

For advice on housing benefit, council tax support, Blue Badge scheme, Taxicards (London boroughs only) and Freedom Passes, please contact your local council.

Please note that our welfare and benefits service is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Therefore, we cannot advise on the following areas:

  • Bankruptcy
  • Pension advice
  • Mortgage/insurance policy issues
  • Self-employed business – for self-employed tax issues please contact TaxAid (see above for contact details)
  • Secured debts – please contact the National Debtline, your local Citizens Advice (see above for contact details) or the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) (fca.org.uk/)

Immigration advice

We are unable to help with immigration queries. For more information about immigration or to find legal advice, please visit the following websites:

Citizens Advice: citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/

UK Government: gov.uk/find-an-immigration-adviser and gov.uk/check-legal-aid

Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner: home.oisc.gov.uk/adviser_finder/finder.aspx

Liberty: libertyhumanrights.org.uk/advice_information/i-need-immigration-advice/

Law Centres: lawcentres.org.uk/i-am-looking-for-advice

Law Society: lawsociety.org.uk/public/for-public-visitors/using-a-solicitor/

Right to remain: righttoremain.org.uk/toolkit/

Law Works: lawworks.org.uk/legal-advice-individuals/find-legal-advice-clinic-near-you

Advice Local: advicelocal.uk/

Welfare and benefits advice video

Video about welfare and benefits advice available at the UCLH Macmillan Support and Information Service for people affected by cancer or a blood condition.