Who do we see?
- Children from birth to 19 years with balance disorders including dizziness, vertigo, disorientation, severe motion sickness, imbalance symptoms
- Children with delayed motor milestones related to permanent hearing loss
- Children with permanent hearing loss where further information is needed about the vestibular system
- Full vestibular assessment – history and examination with the doctor
- Hearing assessment: visual reinforcement audiometry, pure tone audiometry, tympanometry, oto-acoustic emissions, stapedial reflexes, auditory brain-stem evoked response for latency
- Vestibular testing: electronystagmography, videonystagmography, caloric testing, dynamic posturography (Equitest), VEMPs
- Occupational therapy assessment of balance if indicated
- Investigations into the cause of the balance problems including radiology, blood and urine tests, ECG and EEG if required
- Medical treatment if appropriate
- Advice given on vestibular rehabilitation
- Psychological support and counselling for dizzy children if required
- Some vestibular rehabilitation offered on site
- Liaison with local agencies to facilitate vestibular rehabilitation if required.
- NHS e-Referral Service (formally Choose and Book referrals)
- General practitioners (GPs)
- Consultant paediatricians
- ENT surgeons
- Audiovestibular physicians
Twice weekly one-stop vestibular clinic for testing on Tuesday and Friday.