David Lomas joined the Board in September 2015 and was reappointed for a second term until September 2021. He is UCL Vice-Provost (Health), Head of the UCL School of Life and Medical Sciences, head of UCL Medical School, Academic Director of the UCLP Academic Health Sciences Centre and works as a respiratory physician at UCLH. He received his medical degree from the University of Nottingham and undertook his PhD at Trinity College, Cambridge. He was a Medical Research Council (MRC) clinician scientist, university lecturer and Professor of Respiratory Biology in Cambridge before moving to UCL in 2013 to be Chair of Medicine and Dean of the Faculty of Medical Sciences. He is Deputy Chief Executive at the Medical Research Council and previously chaired the Respiratory Therapy Area Unit Board at GlaxoSmithKline. He is also a senior investigator for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). David chairs the quality and safety committee and is a member of the remuneration committee.
Declaration of interests:
- Medical Trustee of the British Heart Foundation from 1.11.16
- UCL Stakeholder representative on Imanova Board
- UCL representative and Director of the KwaZulu Natal Research Institute for TB-HIV (K-RITH) Grants Advisory Committee
- Patron, Alpha1 Awareness UK
- Honorary Senior Treasurer, National Student Association of Medical Research
- Scientific Advisory Committee, Genomics England
- Chair, UK Respiratory Research Collaborative
- GSK COPD Disease Model Steering Group
- Member, Expert Advisory Group, Innovative Medicines and MedTech Review for the Minister of Life Sciences.
- Founders Board, Francis Crick Institute
- Board member, UCLPartners
- Director, GMEC Management Company Ltd
- Non-executive director at the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust from 1 September 2020
- Member of the research and innovation committee